Birthday

Monday, March 19, 2001

Today was Cat's 20th birthday!

This morning she had a final exam at school. She is majoring in law at Ramkhamhaeng University. Her exam was from two to four in the afternoon. But before going to school, she dropped me and my friends off at Major Cineplex, a movie theater. The theater was right across the street from her school. She had asked her two good friends Maew and Num to watch Mae Bia (The Snake Lady) with us.

Major Cineplex Ramkhamhaeng Find Target Reference
Before Cat left to school, she whispered something to me about the movie which I didn’t hear clearly. I heard something like, "this movie has a lot of lesbian scenes." With that in mind, I thought it was going to be a lesbian movie but throughout the whole movie, I didn't see any lesbians and it had me thinking.

Mae Bia  Wikipedia
"Mae Bia is about a man named Chanachol who has spent several years overseas, and after returning to Thailand again, he signs up for a tour to familiarize himself with his homeland again. He meets his guide, Mekhala whom is instantly attracted to, and so is she to him. They begin to have an affair but kept secrets from each other. Chanachol is married and has a son at home while Mekhala has her own secret relationship with a jealous snake."

The movie seem boring to me because it was in Thai and had no English subtitles. I didn't understand a word they were saying. I knew one of my friends didn't enjoy it either because she didn't understand Thai too. But one friend did cried during some scenes.

When we came out of the theater, I didn't know if Cat was done with her exam or not. But she was waiting for us downstairs. Just seeing her makes me happy every time. She asked if I liked the movie. I told her I didn't see any lesbian scenes. She laughed and told me that she meant the movie has a lot of sex scenes.

We took sticker pictures in the photo booth they had there. Then we walked to Big C shopping center which was only a few blocks away. We went down to the lowest level where the food court was and got dinner. But we didn't really know what to order. I just ordered a beef noodle soup. The name and picture looks and sounds good but when it came, it had very little noodles with a condensed soup and blood cake. Cat said I didn't have to eat it if I didn't like it.

Birthday Dinner

It rained really hard around five o'clock but Cat's aunt still insisted we go to Tesco Lotus. We celebrated Cat's birthday at MK Restaurants with her siblings. MK features Thai-style suki that is a hot pot of fresh meats and vegetables. This was the first time my friends and I ever had hot pot so we didn't like it. Her younger siblings must thought we were weird because we didn't talk with them and didn't eat much.