The way we met

Thursday, March 1, 2001

It was near fall season, sometime at the end of August 1999 that Cat and I met online. She was 18 years old and lived in Bangkok, Thailand. I was a year older than her.

I knew a lot of friends from the internet that I talked to everyday, but I've never thought I would meet someone across the other side of the earth like her. She taught me many things and one of them was to love unconditionally with my heart. She was someone I couldn't live my life without, someone I would sacrifice everything for, and someone I would do it all over again with if I could.

It was very late one night when I went into Yahoo chat. Back then, the internet was a new thing, and everyone you meet online was friendly. Cat was already in the chat room and she was asking people how to spell the word "Beautiful." I clicked on her name because it was different from the usual names always there. I typed "Hi," and she typed "Hi" back to me.

I don't remembered what else we talked about in the chat room besides introducing ourselves. But I did know it was boring talking to her because she didn't understand most of what I was typing to her, due to her limited English skills. To be honest, I was not interested in her. I could also feel she was too excited about other people in the room that she didn’t really care either.

After this unexpected meeting, I went on living my usual life and totally forgot about her. It was about one week later when I received an email from her. I don't remember giving her my email address but I think she must have written down my Yahoo user name from the chat room. The user name in chat is the same as the email account for Yahoo.

This is how we know each other and how our six year long distance relationship started. We emailed, sent letters through the mail, and sometimes talked on the phone.