Arrived in Bangkok

Sunday, March 18, 2001


Waiting at Minneapolis airport
We left the United States on Saturday March 17, 2001 at 9:30 am. We connected in Minneapolis and Tokyo. The plane ride and layover took a total of about 21 hours. When we arrived at Bangkok's Don Muang International Airport, it was Sunday night March 18, 2001 about 11:30 pm.

After going through customs and baggage claim, it was already past midnight. I was very nervous when we walked out to the meeting area. I was afraid at the same time that I might lose Cat after she sees me. But then again, at least we got to meet each other in person.

Cat saw me first as I walked toward the crowds gathered in the meeting area. When I saw her waved at me, I froze! My heart was beating so fast, I had to catch my breath. Standing next to her was her younger sister, her mom, and mom's boyfriend (I will refer to him as Uncle Q). When I was finally standing face to face with Cat, I could see how beautiful her complexion was. She was one hundred times more pretty and different than the pictures she sent me. In those pictures, she always had on shorts and looked like a tomboy. I prefer a more feminine girl. Like they say, never judge a book by it's cover. Seeing her with her shoulder length black silky hair and smooth baby face; it melt my heart. She wore her driving glasses, a blue polo shirt, blue jeans, navy colored sandals, and was holding her cell phone in one hand. Her eyes were on me the whole time. I was very shy to look her in the eyes.

We loaded our luggage in her trunk. After closing the trunk, she came from behind me, as I was about to get in the car, and slightly brushed her right arm against my left arm. I felt something, something wonderful that I've never felt before. A feeling of being close to someone you care deeply about. She insisted I sit with her in the front but I didn't have the guts to, so I let her sister sit with her. I sat in the backseat with two of my friends.

Our first night together

When we arrived at her aunt's house, it was very hot. Her mom bought food for us because she worried we were hungry. We sat surrounding the food on the floor. Cat sat next to me, she rolled her sleeves up to her shoulders. I was still nervous. We tried to eat but I didn't have an appetite.

Her aunt has a spare bedroom upstairs with a queen size bed for us. We showered and I was the last one. When I came back into the room, everyone looked tired, and two of my friends that could speak Thai was talking to Cat. They sat on the floor. I sat with them, and one of my friend folded a 20 dollar bill into a heart and gave it to her. I took out a 100 dollar bill and folded it into a heart and also gave it to her.

All four of my friends squeezed into the small queen bed. Cat laid a pad on the floor for me and her to sleep. What happened after everyone fell asleep was something I will never forget. The one thing that I've wanted the most in the last two years had finally arrived. We were in each others arms, and it felt so good to have her warm body next to mine. We hugged each other until we fell asleep.

It rained really hard until the morning!