Return to Bangkok

Friday, March 23, 2001

Today was my younger sister's birthday.

We went to the market again today! We got home around two in the afternoon. As we were about to sit and watch TV with everyone else in the room; a young man appeared at the door and said some Thai friends was coming to pick up someone here. He also said the Thai girl was searching and didn't know where we were, so someone helped them, and told them to come to this house.

My heart jumped, I knew instantly it was Cat. She was so quick to come. Today was only my third day in the camp. I got up and started gathering my things, and when I looked up, I saw Cat, her mom, and Uncle Q with the person I assumed they met and guided them to the house. Cat came to me and helped me packed my bags. My friend that was with me, walked with me to their car which was parked a few hundred feet from the house. We said bye to my friend.

On the way back to Cat's house in Bangkok, I felt nervous as I sat in the backseat alone with her. I was going to be by myself with all Thai people in a house, and a different environment than I know. My parents had advised me to stay with my friends all the time. They told me stories about when they lived in Thailand and how some Thais mistreated the Hmong people. I think I know Cat well enough to trust her at this moment. There's good and bad people out there, and Cat's mom was very kind to us when we stayed in Bangkok. She is a mom and I’m sure she is concern for my safety as well.

Cat fell asleep in the car half way back or maybe she was just pretending, so she could put her head on my leg. Whatever it was, it felt good to be loved.