How I got to go to Thailand

Saturday, March 17, 2001

It has been over two years since Cat and I've known each other. Throughout this whole crazy cycle, we've also created many sad and happy memories together. We didn't think we would ever get to meet in person.

Love is a strange thing, we don't know how it starts and how it will end. But what is in between is the best and most wonderful of anything in life. The countless hours we spent on our emails, letters, and phone calls to each other were the most important things in our lives. Through everything, we've built trust and knew in our hearts that if not today, one day, however long it may be, we will meet somehow. We just need to believe in our love even if unreachable.

My friends and I started talking about visiting Thailand in April 2000. I submitted the application for a passport around that time as well but didn't receive it until about November, I think. After we got our passports, the four of us took a hour and a half drive east of where we live to purchase our airline tickets from a travel agent.

I told my parents about Thailand early from the beginning but they never believed I was serious. I guess it was because I was too young to travel to a country where I didn't know anyone or speak its language. My mom is a free spirited person, she is an easy person to talk to, and will most likely let me do what I like. My dad is different. Throughout my life, for as long as I can remember, he has always been someone I avoided. There are many reasons I can't explain, but I could never have a conversation lasting more than five minutes with him. He is short with words and very direct with things. When he talks, his tone is loud like he's yelling, and that's what makes us stay away from him. I can say for a fact that growing up, life was unbearable, and many times I wished I didn't exist. After I know Cat, life felt more worthwhile.

Long story short, I did my passport and purchased the airline ticket along with my friends without telling my parents. After everything was completed, I told them I was really going to Thailand. They couldn't say anything but to let me go.