Songkran - สงกรานต์

Friday, April 13, 2001

I woke up this morning at 6 am to use the bathroom and went back to sleep. I heard Cat up at 8:30 am and went downstairs to buy food. I slept until 9:30 am, then got up, and went downstairs. I read one chapter from the Danielle Steel book, "Malice" that I bought yesterday. I ate breakfast alone, took a shower, then went to meet Cat at her mom's work.

One of Cat's friend came to visit her. I think it was one of her ex-girlfriend. I went back home to stay with her sister.

Songkran Festival Tourism Thailand Blog
At 3 pm, Cat and I went by taxi to Khaosan Road to meet her friends and celebrate the Songkran Festival. Songkran Festival is the Thai New Year and is celebrate every year from April 13 to April 15. Thais celebrate it by throwing water at one another, or they may go to wats, and pray and give food to monks. Khaosan Road is a short road about 1 km north of the Grand Palace. There are a lot of tourists on this road because there are many cheap accommodations and travel agents that can arrange visas and transport to all other destinations in Thailand.

Songkran Festival Northern Virginia Mag
Today, there were hundreds of people roaming on Khaosan Road with containers of waters and water guns splashing water at passerbys. I don't even know why we went there. We didn't do anything except tried to squeeze our way through the crowds and I have no idea why we were doing that too! We got wet from the water people threw at others and hit us. Our faces and hair were painted with white powders too.

After we got out, we took a tuk tuk taxi with two of her friends to go home. The four of us squeezed together in the back. Cat put one of her arms around me and hold me tight next to her friends.